I have Beta Thalassemia and my husband has Sickle Beta Thalassemia. What this means is that we have only a 25% chance of having a healthy baby that would have the Beta Thalassemia like me. 25% chance of having a baby with the same as my hubby who has 3 or 4 crisis a year that put him in the hospital with pain. Or a 50% chance of having a very sick child with full blown Sickle Cell Disease or Thalassemia Disease. This breaks my heart. I want a baby and want to be pregnant more than anything! I want to carry a child within my womb. I want to a have healthy baby. I would hate to bring a child into this world that would live everyday in pain or may die early in life.
Other options include IVF but I’m not so sure how we feel about picking a choosing “good” ones and getting rid of “bad” ones. Or a sperm donor or and egg donor. We would like to adopt. But that doesn’t make my dream of being pregnant go away.
This is so much to take in. :( so many people can get pregnant so easily and don’t know what a blessing that is. And then there are those who decide at as late as 20 weeks pregnant they they want an abortion simply because they’re having a girl and they don’t want a girl. How is this possible?! What world do we live in?! It’s heartbreaking!